Moston was a township in Warmingham ancient parish of Northwich hundred (a geographical division of Cheshire) which became a civil parish in 1866.

The civil parish was abolished in 1936 to become part of Tetton with minor boundary alterations which saw the parish gain part of Kinderton but loosing part of Middlewich.

In 1970 Moston was recreated by uniting Elton with Tetton and incorporating Needham’s Bank and Stud Green and becoming part of the Congleton Rural District which latterly became encompassed by Cheshire East from 2009 onwards.